Thursday, June 6, 2013

Design Challenge : June's Featured Designer


We're really excited to bring you a new Design Challenge project this week.  Let's get started by meeting our designer!

Hi Sew Lux readers! 

My name is Erin Davis, and I blog over at Sew at Home Mummy. I'm originally from Vancouver, Canada, and now living in Chicago, Illinois with my husband, daughter Audrey and crazy chocolate lab named Orson. 

I've been sewing since I was 12; mostly clothing, scrubs for work, my bridesmaid's gowns, the odd peacoat, and more. I've made a couple of quilts over the years, but never really got serious about quilting until my daughter was on her way. So, I've been crazy about quilting for about a year now. I joined our local guild (Chicago Modern Quilt Guild - woot!) and have been active in the online community, creating a rather large (110 person) international bee called "Simply Solids", and am members of a few other bees including do.Good (Faith Circle)

I LOVE quilting. I am enamored by fabrics - color, texture, juxtaposition, composition, you name it. I love that one person's interpretation of a block can be completely different than another's, just by using different fabrics. Quilting is an amazing way to express yourself!

What is on your "quilt bucket list"?
Oh. Easy. A chevron-block quilt - haven't quit decided yet whether I will do the HST way or the cheater way... hahah

What kind of machine do you use?
I have a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 which I use most often for piecing; I like the modern conveniences of the auto thread cutter and LED light (my eyes are horrible!) I also have a Brother Pacesetter from the late '70's which I quilt with - the throat space is a little deeper than the Singer.

My old vintage Brother - *love*!

I am on the lookout for an old vintage Singer 201-2 though to become my quilting-go-to machine. 

Where do you find inspiration for your quilting projects?
Everywhere! Social media like Pinterest, shampoo bottles, buildings, photos, nature: art and inspiration is all around us - you just have to think outside the box a bit. 

What is your favorite notion?
This is tough. I honestly can't narrow it down to just one. Here are some of my top 'can't live without them' faves:
- my big cutting mat. 36"x 24" I think, and it rocks. I used to do all of my cutting on a teeny tiny one, and man, was it difficult!
- my 28mm Olfa rotary cutter; I switched from a 45mm and have never looked back - it's so much lighter, easier to control, nicer to cut with overall!
- my LED sewing machine light. One of those after-market flexi-goose necked ones that attach to the side of your machine head. LOVE IT! 
- my design wall. I'm not sure if this is a 'notion' but it's definitely a must-have, hahah!
- my ergonomic stitch-ripper. *cough* because I need it (a lot)


Stop by tomorrow to see what Erin does with this awesome bundle.  

Happy Sewing!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Great intro Erin. Can't wait to see what you're going to do with that fun bundle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)