Monday, June 1, 2015

Thimble Blossoms Scappy Sampler QAL : Piccadilly Circus

Hey everyone!

It's another Monday and we're moving right along on our Thimble Blossoms Scrappy Sampler quilt this week. :-)

Last week, we made five Lollies blocks. Find the post about those here.

This week, we're working on our Piccadilly Circus block.  The pattern for this quilt is here if you need one.  We're going to make one block, following the pattern's directions with one change - cut your background square at 26.5" (this is slightly bigger than the pattern calls for, but necessary for our final quilt layout).


I am using the kit from our shop.  So I spent a little time using the kit's planning guide to decide what fabrics to use where.  Once I chose and cut my fabrics, I laid them out and rearranged them a few times until I liked the combinations for each of the two different blade's strips.


I want to point out that if you are using fat quarters or fat eighths for this project, you'll need TWO sets of strips that are at least 21" long to be able to make your blades.  Just cut half from each strip set.  Here's a few tips when you go to cut your blades ...

First, press the strips in opposite directions so you can nest your seams when joining the blades together.

Second, if your set of four strips isn't quite as tall as it should be, line up the middle seam with the line on the pattern template for each cut.  You'll be able to fudge the joints at the top of the blades a little, if needed, when you sew the blades together.


Third, press the seam open before turning the blade point right sides out.  This makes it a little easier to get everything flat versus trying to press it open once its turned.

I stitched my center circle down with a small zig zag stitch in red thread.  I used a white thread to stitch down my dresden to the background square (don't forget to adjust the size of the background square ... see note above).


 This block was pretty easy to make and was definitely a lot of fun!


If you are on Instagram, show me your Piccadilly block and tag them #TBScrappySamplerQAL !

See you next Monday for our Tulip blocks!

Happy Sewing! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)