Monday, June 29, 2015

Thimble Blossoms Scrappy Sampler QAL : Sashing, Layout and Borders

Hey there!

It's our last week in the Thimble Blossoms Scrappy Sampler QAL and I was too excited not to share my finished top last Friday ... so if you follow me on Instagram, you've already seen it!  If not ...here it is!


I really loved making this quilt and my quilt top is currently on the way to a longarmer who will be working a little magic on it.  I will be sure to show you all those details when I get it back.  :-)

I have created a document to help you with creating the top and bottom borders as well as the sashing to get the top together.  You can download it here.

When I was piecing this together, I started by piecing rows together as shown in the photos below (sorry they are a little dark, but hopefully you get the idea).


Piece the Lollies together all in a row.  Remember the one where we left off a side border?  That goes on the end.  Join the tulips together as shown in the layout file linked above.


Then piece the "Wave" (Vintage Tulips alternate blocks) - there is no sashing between these.  And finally, sew the Swoon blocks together with sashing between them.

Follow the layout diagram to sew rows together and piece the top and bottom borders.  (Here's the link to the background fabric cutting tips again, if you need it.)

I hope you've been having fun if you are sewing along! I'd love to see your finished quilt tops - tag me on Instagram (@sewlux) and use #TBScrappySamplerQAL - it has been so fun seeing your quilts come together over the past few weeks. :-)

I will be back when my quilt comes back from the longarmer with quilting details and a fun link up (probably late July but I will keep you updated).

P.S.  Did you miss out? Find details and all the links to the QAL here. :-)

P.P.S. I am already thinking about planning another sampler QAL when the next round of patterns are released.... would anyone be interested?

4 comments:

  1. This was so much fun, thank you for hosting. Of course you can count me in on the next one. Cant wait to see yours all quilted and bound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved sewing alon and your kit really helped!!! YES, I'm in on the next one too:):) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fabulous post, Shams. The piping is Just Right.
    cotton wadding full patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am cutting out my blocks now. I'm only a few months late but I love this sampler! I am "shopping" out of my stash so my version will truly be scrappy and I still need to get my background (this weekend). I hope to get the same you used; b/w pindot. I can't wait to make my blocks! I have put aside fabrics for sampler #2! Can't wait to start that one! Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)