Monday, October 19, 2015

Thimble Blossoms Sampler Week 5 - Flower Patch

Hey there!

I am running a little late again with my sewing (sorry about that!), but I am happy to be popping in to share this really fun (and ginormous!) block for this week's installment in the Thimble Blossoms Sampler.


This week, we're sewing one complete Flower Patch block, which is four units sewn together.  This block includes some fusible applique and I did a small zig zag stitch to secure mine to the foundation squares.  Then made sure to pin the intersections of points so they'd match up nice and pretty!

For the next week, we'll be making Clambake blocks and I wanted to check my layout a little in thinking about distributing colors throughout my quilt.  So, I thought I'd take this opportunity to show you how things are looking and also give you a variation or two for the top row to make your quilt your own, if you like!

First, let me apologize for the sun & wind that made these photos not what I hoped ... ;-)


But anyway ...  this is the original plan with the nine patch blocks on the ends and the three stars in the middle.


You can also move the nine patches between the stars, so it alternates blocks across the top.


And finally, you can sew the nine patches together in pairs and alternate between the stars like this ... 


I am leaning toward option two, but may still change my mind.  Which one do you like the best?

That's all for now!  I am headed to Quilt Market on Wednesday and will do my best to get my Clambake section pieced before I leave, but it may get posted early next week.

If you are just joining along, learn more about the QAL here.  (And remaining kits are now on sale while they last!) 

Happy Sewing!  :-) 

1 comment:

  1. Option 2 is my pick and I think I'll be doing that layout. Loving this QAL so far. Almost done with my Flower Patch. Phew! So glad there is only one of these in the sampler. Lots of little bits to keep track of. Enjoy Quilt Market!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)